Jackson Parish Clerk of Court


General Questions

What are your office hours?

8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

What do I need to do to be excused from jury duty?

In the mail with your subpeona for jury duty, you should have received an attached, green information page.  There is a space on the back of this page for you to fill out your absence excuse.  You can then mail this page to the Judge's address listed on the page.  For further information, contact the Judge's office at (318) 259-3442.


What do I have to do to work at the polls?

You must become certified by attending a commissioners school. These are held twice a year. Visit our election section for more information.


How far back do your records date?

Our court records, marriage records and land records date back to approximately 1880.

Do you have death records on file?

No, but we have access to some death certificates through the Bureau of Vital Records. We are able to print certified copies of death certificates filed from July 2012 to the present. The cost of a certified copy of a death certificate purchased through our office is $26.

Where do I go to get a certified copy of my divorce?

The civil department of our office has copies of all divorces in Jackson Parish.

Where do I go to get a certified copy of my deed?

Those are available in the recording department  our office.

How do I find out who owns the property at a certain location?

You need to check with the Tax Assessor’s Office.  Our records are indexed by the owner’s name not by description.

Notary Exam

If I am a notary in Jackson Parish, what other parishes can I act as a notary?

Jackson Parish is grouped with Bienville, Caldwell, East Carroll, Frankllin, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Ouachita, Richland, Union & West Carroll.

How do I become a notary?

For information on how to become a Notary, click here to visit the Secretary of State's Notary site.

Birth Certificates

Where can I get a certified copy of my birth certificate?

Birth certificates and birth cards for the last 100 years are available upon request from our office. You must apply in person. See Birth Certificates for requirements.  Birth certificates prior to 1983 may be obtained from our office after a short wait (usually under an hour).

What do I need to get a certified copy of my birth certificate?

 Applicants applying for a certified copy of a Birth Certificate or Birth Card are required to provide identification in the form of one primary document or two secondary documents. See Birth Certificates for list of documents. 

What is the difference between a birth certificate and a birth card?

A Birth Card is small and will fit in your pocket. It provides your name, date of birth, sex, parish of birth, mother's maiden name and father's initials. Most agencies require the Birth Certificate, which provides much more detail (i.e. town, hospital or birth, father & mother's full name, residence etc.).

How do I know whether I need a birth card or a birth certificate?

You will need to ask the person/agency who is requiring the information.

How much is a certified copy of a birth certificate?


How much is a certified copy of a birth card?

$14 (but can only be sold as a pair with the birth certificate)

How much does a birth certificate plus birth card cost?

$48.00 - (sold as pair only)

Marriage Licenses

How much is a marriage license?

The price of a Marriage License is $27.50.

What do I need to get a marriage license?

 Proof of age and if you have been married before, you will need a certified copy of your divorce or a copy of the death certificate of former spouse. See Forms for an application.

Legal Questions

I want to file for divorce without hiring an attorney. What do I need to do?

THERE ARE NO STANDARD FORMS FOR DIVORCE. EACH CASE IS DIFFERENT. The law allows you to file for a divorce without the assistance of an attorney. The Clerk of Court staff CANNOT assist you. If there are children and/or property involved, we suggest you employ an attorney to assist you. For the self-litigation procedure, click here.


Where do I go to pay my traffic ticket?

The Sheriff’s office collects those unless it was issued by a municipality and in that situation, you go to the town hall of the municipality that issued it.